Grade 5 California State PE standards:
Fitness Concepts 3.1
Demonstrate how to warm up muscles and joints before running, jumping, kicking, throwing, and striking.
Perform flexibility exercises that will stretch particular muscle areas for given physical activities
Body Composition 3.7
Sustain continuous movement for an increasing period of time while participating in moderate to vigorous physical activities.
Movement Concepts 2.1
Explain the importance of open space in playing sport-related games.
- The students will learn and demonstrate a proper warm up including dynamic exercises that mobilize and stretch the body for sustained exercise.
- The students will learn the basic mechanics of the air squat and push ups.
- Students will learn the TABATA method of interval training and then participate in a tabata set of squats, and Push Ups.
- Between TABATA sets, students will be allowed 2 minutes of Freeze dance as a rest interval.
- After the interval sets, and if time allows, we will move into movement concept 2.1, reviewing the rules of Chinese jump rope, they then will be allowed to play the game for the rest of the class period.
The air squat mechanics will be reviewed by teaching the puzzle squat drill.